- 1 whole yellow onion, diced
- 1 stick, or 1/2 cup butter
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1/4 cup of green onions
- 4 cups of whole milk
- 2 cups half-and-half
- 4 heads of broccoli, cut in to florets
- 3 cups grated cheddar cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
1. In a large Dutch oven, melt butter to medium heat.
2. Dice onion while the butter is melting.
3. Add garlic and onions to melted butter, and let simmer for about 4-5 minutes.
4. Slowly add flour, stirring to combine between each shake of flour.
5. Add green onions, milk, and half-and-half. Lower heat to medium-low.
6. Chop broccoli heads.
7. Add broccoli to soup and let simmer for 25-30 minutes, stir frequently so it does not stick to the bottom or form a film on top.
8. Just before serving add grated cheddar cheese.
9. Yummy gooey cheesy-ness!
10. Serve with shredded cheese on top and in a bread bowl or bread for dipping.
This is a great way to end any chilly day, enjoy!
* This can also be frozen and reheated for up to 6 months.